Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Update... Wednesday night

Monique is my hero.

She is an amazing little girl! She got out of surgery yesterday at 1:17pm. Her surgery which was supposed to last 5-6 hours and be an aortic valve replacement as well as a conduit replacement ended up being an aortic valve repair and a stretched conduit. Her surgeon went in with every intention to replace her aortic valve with a mechanical valve... he was able to repair hers!! Wow... no blood thinners... no ticking sound... amazing. This could buy us anywheres to a few years to 10 years before she will need a mechanical valve and thinners. Her surgery lasted 4 hours. WOW! A modern day miracle.

I went in to see her when I was able around 2pm and she wanted her breathing tube out... so... at 2:20pm it came out. Wow... she was very agitated when she came out of surgery. Jumpy... and the anesthesia made her sick. Once they upped her morphine and gave her a good dose of gravol last night she settled quite well and slept most of the night.

We had a few laughs... when she would wake up she was pretty silly. She told me once I even had a bad hairdo! I fell asleep around 5am at her bedside in the ICU and she got mad and told me I was not allowed to sleep.

This morning, her drainage tube came out as did both her central lines, one in her neck and one in her groin and her arterial line for bloodwork came out too. She was so brave and kept saying how much she just wanted a popsicle and to have her own room. At 11:30am she was upstairs and in her own room, not even 24 hours after her surgery was done.

This afternoon we had a great nap. We all needed it. It was quiet and we were able to relax a little bit.

She has walked to the bathroom twice. She is smiling... her smile is all I need. She just got some morphine as she was sore... so hopefully she will have a good night.

Thank you all so much for your prayers. God truly is great.

2 comments:

Lorri said...

I am so happy for you all that Monique is doing so well! I will be praying that it is the 10 years she gets out of the repair! I will have her amazing journey to explain to Bretton when he has his valve repair/replacement next year (they think).

I will continue to keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers for a continued speedy recovery.

Lorri

The Diva said...

Wonderful!!! I love good news!! :)